Barnes & Tibbitts was a shipbuilding company based in Alameda. It was incorporated in 1916 by J. D. Barnes, who previously was a shipwright in San Francisco, and Captain W. G. Tibbitts. 2
The Oakland Public Library caption on the above photo states "The beginning of a big shipbuilding plant, Oakland Inner Harbor. The Barnes-Tibbitts Co. originally purchased twelve and a half acres of deep water frontage and have since added six acres more. They are well along in the construction of wharves and shipways."
Links and References
- Oakland Public Library, Oakland History Room and Maps Division
- Motorship: In the Interests of Commercial Motor Vessels April, 1916
- Alameda from Arcadia Publishing by Greta Dutcher