Andy's Car and Restaurant Service was a small chain of restaurants with drive-in service, where a carhop would bring your food out to your car. The Andy of Andy's drive-ins was Andy Swenson. 3,4
The first Andy's in Oakland was on the southwest corner of 19th and Harrison Streets, and was open from at least 1946 to 1954. (1946 classified ad; 1948 when the menu was printed; the building appears on the 1951 Sanborn maps for the area; and it is mentioned in a 1954 newspaper ad.) It is not known when the building was torn down, but the site is now a parking lot.
A 1954 ad in the Hayward Daily Review lists the Hayward location, the 19th and Harrison location, and also a separate location at Telegraph and MacArthur. This latter location is now the site of a Carl's Jr. Again, it is not known when the circular Andy's building was torn down. Andy's was followed by Hy's Restaurant.
Andy's sponsored a police youth baseball team in the 1940s. 5
Links and References
- ad Oakland Tribune October 2, 1952
- classified Oakland Tribune July 9, 1946
- Going Places Oakland Tribune January 20, 1954
- Andy Swenson Rites to Be Held Oakland Tribune September 17, 1960
- Central Police Games Tomorrow Oakland Tribune June 24, 1948