Anderson's Carpet House was originally located in the old Masonic Temple building at 1105 Washington Street (1891-1894), then relocated to 1114 Broadway (1894-1906), then to 405 13th Street (1906-1919) (current site of the Tribune Tower), then finally at 519-521 13th Street (1919-1934).
After the passing of their father Severin in 1913, Harry S. Anderson owned the business along with his brother, Fred. The business carried lots of carpets and interior decorations. The store employed fifty people. 1 The company also provided interior furnishings on WWI battleships made in the port of Oakland.
A 1914 Rotarian guide lists Harry S. Anderson as the manager of "Anderson's Exclusive Carpet House" at 405 13th Street. The store moved to 519-521 13th Street on August 9, 1919. The store then finally moved across the street to 520 13th Street, celebrating the move with a grand opening on October 4, 1932, and remained there until March 15, 1934.
Kunst Brothers Paint and Wall Paper Store started inside the carpet store in June 1933. Kunst Brothers now has their office right across the street from Harry's grandson's business in San Rafael, AC Graphics.
The absorption of Anderson's Carpet House by Jackson's Furniture Company, on March 15, 1934, brought together under one roof Oakland's two oldest home furnishing stores. Histories of the firms are almost identical. Accounts and business of Anderson's Carpet House were transferred to the Jackson store when the store was absorbed. An estimated $70,000 worth of rugs, carpets, linoleum, furniture, and lamps were sold by Jackson's for 30% to 50% off during the Anderson purchase sale. Fred N. Anderson became and associate for Jackson's until 1936. Harry S. Anderson retired from active business.
*The current Anderson Carpet and Linoleum (formerly on Broadway, now at 1000 West Grand) is unrelated.
Links and References
- Past and Present of Alameda County, California. Volume 1. by Joseph E. Baker SJ Clarke Publishing Company, 1914.