c.1890-1895. Note J.L. Lyon & Son

The Albany Hotel opened in December 1889. After several years of with multiple changes in managers, lessees, and owners, it closed as a hotel in 1906. It then became known as the Albany Block, which was demolished in 1922.

On December 20, 1889, the proprietor of the hotel, Mrs. Jennie B. Lakhune threw a ball to celebrate the grand opening of the hotel. 1 But the celebratory mood didn't last long, and by April of 1890, she had filed for insolvency. 2 The hotel changed managers, and the building changed owners.

For a few years it was owned by Henry D. Bacon, who also owned the Bacon Block. 3 In 1895, it was purchased by William J. Dingee from the Bacon Land and Loan Company for $125,000 cash. 4 There was a dispute that went on for several years, filed by Bacon's widow.

A fire in 1899 gave the occupants a scare, but was found quickly and the fire department summoned before it did too much damage. At that time, the post office was the main ground floor tenant. 5 The post office renewed their lease in 1901 for 5 years, but moved out to the newly constructed downtown post office in 1903.

In 1906, because of the influx of businesses following the 1906 earthquake, the Albany Hotel closed as a hotel. 6 In 1907, Borax Smith had offices there; a fire threatened a valuable collection of art he had there. Fortunately the fire was extinguished before it did too much damage. 7

The building was demolished in 1922, 8 and the site became the location of the Roos Brothers Building.

Links and References

  1. Opening Ball at the Albany Oakland Tribune December 21, 1889
  2. An Hotelkeeper's Failure Oakland Tribune April 7, 1890
  3. F.S. Page As Mine Host Oakland Tribune January 19, 1891
  4. The Albany Hotel Property Purchased By W.J. Dingee Oakland Tribune September 18, 1895
  5. Albany Was In Danger Oakland Tribune December 23, 1899
  6. Albany Closes As Hotel Oakland Tribune May 1, 1906
  7. Valuable Paintings Menaced By Flames Oakland Tribune January 18, 1907
  8. Work Is Rushed On Big Downtown Buildings Oakland Tribune December 24, 1922