c.1936 ohrphoto.dpoa10.006 2

The Abrahamson Building was the home of the Abrahamson Brothers store at 13th and Washington, constructed in 1892, designed by architect Charles Mau. 3 The building had various other tenants over the years. It was demolished in _ and the area is now part of City Center.

Years Tenant
1892-1912 Abrhamson Brothers
1915- Marymont and Upright
1931 Associated Department Stores
1934- Union Furniture Company
1944- Darling Shop

1896 directory 1896 directory

In 1932 it underwent a major modernization designed by architect Edward T. Foulkes as part of a Downtown Property Owners Association's program. 1,4

before modernization 1 after modernization 1

1931 ohrphoto.dpoa7.044 2 c.1942 ohrphoto.dpoa10.007 2

Links and References

  1. Modernization by Edward Foulkes Architect and Engineer September 1934
  2. Downtown Property Owners Collection Oakland History Center
  3. Abrahamson Brother's New Dry Goods Palace Oakland Tribune October 18, 1892
  4. Washington St. Building to Be Modernized Oakland Tribune April 12, 1932