Golden Gate is a neighborhood west of San Pablo Avenue, bordered by Berkeley to the north, Emeryville to the west and south, and the Gaskill, and Paradise Park tracts to the east. Gaskill and Paradise Park are considered part of the Golden Gate District, e.g. by the neighborhood association, SPAGGIA, and others [below under??] community.
Golden Gate was originally the 150 acres town of Klinknerville, founded and named in 1885 by by German immigrant Charles Alexander Klinkner who also dubbed himself the "Mayor." Klinkner had a rubber stamp business and formed "Klinkner Hall" at San Pablo Avenue and 59th Street (née Klinkner). The hall hosted clubs and church services, and also sold groceries and drugs on the first floor.
In 1888 the name of the town was changed to Golden Gate for the beautiful views (now obscured) across the San Francisco Bay of the Golden Gate, the entrance to the Bay which is now spanned by the Golden Gate Bridge.
The town of Golden Gate was annexed to the City of Oakland in 1897.
The Herzog Tract was an historic tract in Golden Gate.
Southern Pacific commuter trains ran through the neighborhood on Stanford to the Oakland Mole.1
The East Bay Negro Historical Society (EBNHS) was invited in 1982 to establish an African American collection in the Golden Gate Branch Library, the first library in Oakland to have a predominantly African American focus. The entire left side of the library housed the EBNHS collection. Dr. Lawrence Crouchett was appointed the Executive Director in 1988, and the organization changed the name from the East Bay Negro Historical Society to the Northern California Center for Afro-American History & Life (NCCAAHL).
The final merger occurred in 1994 when the NCCAAHL joined forces with the City of Oakland to create the African American Museum & Library at Oakland (AAMLO), which is now located in the former Charles S. Greene Library, one of the historic Carnegie Libraries from 1902.
African Americans arrived during World War II to work in the shipyards.
The neighborhood has a large number of arts, entertainment, and community resources, including Actual Cafe, The Compound Gallery, PLACE for Sustainable Living, Victory Burger, A Verb for Keeping Warm, and a Carnegie library.
People in the neighborhood are encouraged to join our neighborhood social network and come to neighborhood meetings, e.g, for NCPC-10x.
- Bay Public School (1895) (Later Golden Gate Elementary and now a charter school) located at 62nd & San Pablo
- Klinkner's Drug Store (Building still stands today at 59th & San Pablo). Interior shot of store
- Klinkner Hall Photo taken before it was razed in 1941. Can also see Klinkner's Drug. The site is now a grocery store (previously Safeway and now Gateway Supermarket)
- Trader Vics matchbook from original location (now a vacant lot) at 65th and San Pablo
Links & References
- Mailman, Erika. Oakland's Neighborhoods. Oakland: Mailman Press, 2005.
Pages tagged “Golden Gate”
- 1 For All Mural
- 55th Street Garden
- All Nations Pentecostal Prayer
- A Verb for Keeping Warm
- Berkley Maynard Academy
- Charles Alexander Klinkner
- Dollars Market
- Forthrite Printing
- Fratellanza Club
- Freeman's Park
- Golden Gate Branch Library
- Golden Gate Recreation Center
- Hinky Dink's
- Nature Mural
- North Oakland Land Trust
- Oscar the Grouch Mural
- Pepples Donut Farm
- PLACE for Sustainable Living
- Rebuilding Together Oakland
- San Pablo Flea Market
- St Columba
- The Compound Gallery
- The First-Ever San Pablo Stroll
- The Pallet Space Murals
- Tree and River Mural
- Triple Point Cohousing
- Triumph the Church & Kingdom of God In Christ
- Victory Burger
- Zombie Village